The latest version of WordPress, WordPress 4.7 Vaughan was recently released on December 6, 2016. The version is named after the legendary Jazz singer Sara Vaughan.
In case you missed, here are the highlights of the latest WordPress 4.7:
- A new default theme – Twenty Seventeen has been introduced which is sleek in design and quite appealing.
- All WordPress themes will now provide a list of starter content. This is helpful for admins converting PSD to WordPress theme as this will give a solid base for creating a website.
- You get to add video as a blog header. This is probably the main update of WordPress 4.7.
- You can now see the preview of the CSS before the site goes live.
- Managing web content is easier WordPress 4.7.
- Preview images and videos as PDFs.
First of all, save the WordPress XML file in a hard drive. For doing this, click on the Tools icon. This is in the left sidebar of the screen. Now, export the file and click on Download Export File. Create a new Folder on the hard drive and name it WP Backup (optional). Creating a backup is recommended once a month, regardless of the updates available.
Next, you need to create a backup of your WordPress database. For this, you can make use of the backup plugins like:
These plugins can also be used later for optimizing the database.
- Download a copy of the database backup. This should be not be stored on the server itself. This is because the backup will be useless if there are any issues in the server. Rather, store the backup in an external drive or cloud.
- In case you have a custom theme, download all your theme folders in a local hard drive.
- Finally, deactivate all the installed plugins before you hit the upgrade option. Later, remember to activate them again. Although you can update the plugin with a single click, but this method is more preferred. If you notice that any plugin is not working well, start deactivating the plugins one at a time. If this doesn’t work, it is not sure that there is some issue in your website. If the plugin developer has not upgraded the plugin firmware as per the WordPress 4.7, it might not work. Simply, look for an alternative and install it.